Thread: Question
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 10:24 AM
Friday1961

Originally Posted by quilttiger View Post
I learned the hard way it is best not to mix cottons with polyesters/poly blends in the same top......especially for quilts that will be washed (lap quilts, table runners, placemats, for example). The difference also shows up during FMQ. However, artistic wall hangings do well with different fabrics and textures.

As a long time garment maker (who at one time made a lot of double knit clothes! ) but a novice quiltmaker, I inadvertently mixed a poly/cotton with 100% cotton in a quilt when I first began piecing. I was horrified when I realized what I'd done, but my cousin, a long time quilter, told me not to worry, there were "no rules". That top, a queen size and too much of a struggle for my DSM, has yet to be quilted so I have no idea how it will look when finished, but I now buy only 100% cotton for quilt tops. But I do use poly batting, mainly because an experienced online quilter advised using it as the easiest for beginners. I like it. I also use poly/cotton thread for piecing and for machine quilting.