Old 10-25-2015, 04:06 AM
twinkie
Power Poster

This is one my DH did for me for use with my Gracie II quilting frame. It is a 1916 Singer model 66 which has a long throat. He stripped it down to bare metal. Be sure you remove all of the stripper with soap and water, letting it thoroughly dry. He wiped it down with mineral spirits making sure to reach all the nooks and crannies. Make sure there is no rust on the metal. If there is any you can either sand it down or use Rustoleum Rust Reformer. Then he sprayed the entire machine with Rustoleum self-etching primer. Then he put Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Gloss Enamel lavender spray paint over the primer coat and then sprayed that coat with Krylon Indoor/Outdoor Clear on top of the color coat. MAKE SURE you follow the drying times and/or recoat times on each each coat you apply. If you wait too long, i.e. between the primer and color coat, you will not get a chemical bond. He suspects that you may be waiting too long between coats, therefore you are not getting that chemical bond and the color is just sitting on top of the primer instead of chemically bonding. He has used this method in restoring many machines and it works great. He has never used lacquer as it is incompatible with many primers and old paint surfaces.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534063[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]534065[/ATTACH]

I have used this machine for two years and have had no problem with the paint or the finish. If you would like to talk to him, send me a PM and I will give you his phone number. Best wishes with your project.
Attached Thumbnails little-gracie-right-side.jpg   little-gracie-left-front-cropped.jpg