Old 10-26-2015, 01:06 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Default Does anyone else have difficulty using Red Snappers to load a quilt on the frame?

Did they ever loosen up enough for you to use? I installed these thinking they would help me, but find I cannot force the clips over the rods. Aside from not having enough strength in my hands, my frame leaders are not long enough to allow me to do the clipping on the board in the back of the frame (plus that board is not really strong enough to take a lot of weight).

Right now I need to have my husband see if he can do it for me for each quilt (he is very strong, so likely will find it easy). This will work for awhile, but I prefer being entirely independent. If I won't eventually be able to use the Red Snappers by myself, I am thinking perhaps I should go back to using a zipper system or try a velcro system. I really do not want to pin. I liked my zipper system, but did not at all like having to baste the quilt top and backing to the zippers on my domestic machine. Aside from being directionally challenged (sewing a zipper tape to the wrong edge at times), I didn't like the way the fabric stretched while being sewn.

If you use velcro, do you have to sew the velcro to the quilt top and backing? I don't relish the idea of machine basting, but at least it would be less directionally challenging than zippers. Wondering though if the fabric stretches when sewn to velcro the way it stretched for me on the zipper tapes.