View Single Post
Old 10-28-2015, 03:55 AM
waltonalice

Poldark will be returning, along with Sherlock and Downton Abbey around January. The Poldark is pretty faithful to the ten novels, so far at least. My darling DIL and I love The Great British Bake show, although there are only two programs remaining. I'm missing Person of Interest, even though it had gotten itself into a rabbit's hole, from which I couldn't see much future. I love the PBS/BBC programs, even the difficult-to-follow Indian Summer, because they bring many eras alive by explaining the contexts. It's easy to see why Indians wanted to be free of the Raj, when you see how they were treated by the Brits; but then we see Home Front, which takes place only 5 years later in Britain and we see how "ordinary" Brits faced the War. I loved Foyle's War, which showed both the heroism and the war-profiteering that went on during the War. Then came Call the Midwives and Bletchly Circle, where we saw that the after-effects of the War lasted for years, with rationing not ending until the early 1950's. It's amazing that, with all the devastation shown in Midwives, the Brits were able to rebuild and to try to rectify centuries of inequalities by offering health care to all. My favorite program is still on, but I can't get it on Dish, which dropped Ovation just before the end of the current season of The Artful Detective/Murdock Mysteries. I'm going to have to break down and find out how to get and use Netflix. Then I'll be able to keep getting full episodes of the British Antiques Roadshow.