View Single Post
Old 03-22-2007, 10:18 AM
Joyce

Yes, you do need a special machine to coil bind. I bought mine over the internet, along with the plastic coils. I was extremely pleased with the prices and service from the company I bought from. If anyone needs info, let me know.

I hate to use books that you can't lay flat!
I gathered up 20 quilting books and went in to Staples. I asked them to bind just one so I could check out the quality of their work.
A girl did just one and it looked just fine. They told me to come back in a couple of hours and they would be done.
When I went back, the girl was gone, and a young guy (new hire) had done the job.
IT WAS AWFUL!!!
When he cut the binding off, he cut it starting at 1/4" that went to a half inch. A severe angle to the cut, which took off part of the printed page, which included pattern parts. I was furious! These were up to $30.00 books.
I went to the manager and showed him what had happened. I told him I wanted to be re-embursed for the price of the books. Two of them were out of print and couldn't be replaced, so I told him I wanted those back, but wouldn't pay for the binding.
I could tell he didn't like it, but you know what? I didn't like what had just happened either.
So to make this long story short, that is why I bought a binder. I tell family and friends to bring their books to me that they want bound, and no, I don't charge them, not even for the coils. I figure it is my way of "casting bread upon the waters".
You can probably tell I still get "hot" over this issue.
Thanks for letting me blow steam.
Joyce