View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 05:17 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MamaBear61
I don't know anything about one block wonder so this may seem like a ridiculous question. Does this block type help you determine piece placement in your blocks? The way the fabric comes together in the individual blocks makes this project mesmerizing, I could look at it for hours. Wonderful quilt, thanks for sharing
Basically, you make a stack of 6 layers of six identical pattern repeats which you then cut into strips (these were 3 3/4" wide). You then cut 60° triangles (I use a triangle ruler). This gives you 6 identical fabric triangles, which you then use to create hexagon blocks. You make them in two halves and pin the blocks together, then when you come to piece them, you have only straight seams to sew. When you have your stack of hexagon blocks, you can play away to your hearts content til you find a layout you're happy with. The cutting and piecing is pretty straightforward - the fun (and headache sometimes!) is in the layout.

This technique, from a cutting and sewing point of view, is really easy, I promise! If you'd like to try it, I'd recommend getting the book One Block Wonders and/or One Block Wonders Encore by Maxine Rosenthal. There are detailed instructions with pics in both and the second one also explains how to make the hollow blocks. She also gives tips on how to chose a good fabric - IMO this is one of the hardest parts of the process - with this quilt it was done for me! :D