View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 06:53 AM
kellen46

Default I have owned both types of Bernina 830 machine

As for the older 830 Record it is a great machine and I will never give it up. As for the new computerized 830 the story does not end happily. I found the big new 830 to be a real picky princess of a machine. It was thread picky, prone to breakdowns. Pray you never get the "gears of death" screen. My dealer was over the mountain almost 3 hours one way. The tension would go wonky on a regular basis. I figured out to fix it by turning off a feature. I gradually learned to turn off various features to keep from getting error messages. Not a good sign for a very spendy machine. Finally I was sitting at the machine thinking did I really want to sew on it at all. The answer for me was no and that is when I traded it in for a less picky machine. Not another Bernina but from a local dealer. Yes my new machine works fine and does what I expect it to. No it does not have all the special bells and whistles the 830 had. I was a loyal Bernina customer up until that point. I sort of miss having a new Bernina sitting on the sewing table but it is what it is. I hear the brand that I have now is coming out with a new TOL all the bells and whistles machine. I was asked if I was going to upgrade and the answer is no. I have decided that I just want to sew, clothing, toys, and quilts, do some embroidery now and then and only have to have it serviced once a year. I do not need to be updated on my phone that a color change on the embroidery is needed. One, I don't own a smart phone, and two I can hear the machine from most everywhere in the house so I know when the embroidery is done. I don't need to store patterns on the cloud. I have a drawer where all the software is stored. If I have an auto thread cutter, a needle threader, and a really bright led light then I am happy. Having a lot of fancy stitches is nice even though I don't use them all that much. Having said all this, good for you if you like your 830LE, if you want to embroider everything in sight then good on you and enjoy. May you never have the gears of death in you life.