View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 08:06 AM
pyffer3

Default Free Motion Quilting ---

Hi. I have practiced and practiced on small stuff trying to work up to doing a big quilt. Well, guess what? I read on here the other day a suggestion to someone else who is intimidated by FMQ. It was to try with the feed dogs up and try with them down. Well, I have been working with them down and never could get a rhythm going, even though I did a couple of baby burp clothes and those were ok. Yesterday afternoon I left the feed dogs up. Right from the beginning of my practice pieces it went pretty smoothly. So last night I put the quilt I have been procrastinating on since August on my machine and it went great! I'm not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but I liked how it went. I did use threat that matches the backing (another suggestion I read). I know there are mistakes. Mostly when I would stop for readjustments. I let go of the fabric before the needle went down and it skipped about an inch. I just quilted back around to secure that area and it looks like a loop cross-over. I got about 1/3 of the quilt done (a 70x50) before I totally ran out of thread. I have to go get more thread and I am looking forward to completing this quilt and maybe some of the UFO's I have out there!
Thanks board members for all you teach us!