View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 11:29 AM
Prism99
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ekuw View Post
Do you quilt it differently than you would cotton? By that I mean simpler quilting?
It really depends on what you mean by simpler quilting. If you are used to doing a close stipple, then that would be more difficult to do with a lofty poly simply because you would be dealing with a lot of dramatic differences between flat and puffy near your quilting lines. Anything with higher loft is going to be slightly more difficult to machine quilt on a domestic sewing machine. However, the loft of the Hobbs polydown is so soft it doesn't create a lot of extra difficulty. Using a very high loft off-brand poly would usually be harder to quilt (especially in larger quilts) because the polyester is relatively stiff and therefore harder to compress as you quilt. Plus, close quilting on that kind of very high loft batting tends to result in a very stiff quilt. You can do close quilting on Hobbs Polydown and still have a nice, soft quilt.

Edit: Regarding sateen, my experience with it is that it loses its gloss with washing and wrinkles badly once that finish is lost. I would not recommend it. Satin and silk have that wonderful soft feel to them, but they are so slippery they can create problems with the piecing, layering and quilting processes. They require extra skill in handling.

Last edited by Prism99; 11-03-2015 at 11:31 AM.