View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 08:27 PM
Feather3

Originally Posted by justnananettie View Post
Yesterday in a moment of making a quick decision, I bought a Bernina 830. I did not do any research, or ask very many questions. After I got home I read one review from a Pfaff fan and she had one and hated it! Said it would not quilt worth a darn. I mainly use my machine for making donation quilts for the Children s Hospital here in Oklahoma City. If you have one of these machines, or know anything about them, please don't hesitate to comment. Not that I could do anything about it now!!
I purshased a Bernina 830E & just could not connect with it. So I traded up to the Bernina 830LE (limited addition red one) as soon as they became available. I have had a few issues with it, but my dealer has always fixed it for me. I LOVE this machine. I also have a Bernina 930, Bernina Serger 800DL, a Sailrite 111 industrial & a Babylock Coverstich machine. I also had a Bernina 200E & traded it in on the 830E. I sew/make everything but socks & under garments. Jeans, leather, quilts, you name it. Been sewing for about 50 years now & worked in a garment factory, so I'm a high speed sewer most of the time. I run my machines flat out.

I do quite a bit of embroidery too. Right now I am making FSL butterflies for gifts using metallic threads. No problems, except for 1 spool of metallic thread, which I think is old, even tho I recently bought it.

I have no idea why that person stated it would not quilt worth a darn. Take a look at this thread & you will see a queen size Lone Star quilt I made with lots of embroidery. http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...r-t258053.html When doing embroidery on a quilt the main thing is to support the weight of the quilt so the embroidery arm can move freely.

I'm working on a 2nd Lone Star, same pattern & embroidery for another friend.

I highly suggest the 97D foot for piecing & the 10D for stitch in the ditch/edge stitching just left/right of the seam/ditch. I love the "D" feet. I also use the 34D clear foot alot.

I think you will like this machine. Too bad you have to wait on classes. I had classes when I bought my 200E, but never took any classes when I got my 830E/LE machine....just did a quick pick up-go over & headed home with it.

Have fun with your machine .