View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 07:52 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
My FW's seams are kind of puckery, and I think maybe I have too much pressure on the presser foot. I really just need to play with it but I was thinking that I haven't really seen posts on adjusting presser foot pressure properly, and it's something I've never really thought much about.
It seems to me that most of the "trouble shooting" tips that I have seen in various manuals and on the web seem to indicate that the "puckering" is a tension related issue.
It also seems like one of the sewing manuals for the "pop-up" pressure knobs seemed to give the opposite of what Singer says for thick vs thin fabric. (I can't find it now.)
When I was working on the most recent FW, I found something about setting the knob with only two screw threads showing. (I can't find that either.) I haven't done much sewing with it but seemed to work ok to test. At least it is a starting spot.

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
...The best description I have is from a "Singer Study Skills" booklet I have that I scanned. I don't know if it is legible how
Actually that should be "Singer Sewing Skills"

As Miriam mentioned there are machines that have a silk setting for the feed dogs which make less pressure on the fabric I'm not sure how to word what I'm thinking. I'm wondering if that would make the seam ease differently. I know I have seen tips about how if you need to ease seams - that the longer should be on the bottom. Would the silk setting mean that if you needed to ease some fabric seams that the longer should be on top?