View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 09:18 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by OurWorkbench View Post
It seems to me that most of the "trouble shooting" tips that I have seen in various manuals and on the web seem to indicate that the "puckering" is a tension related issue.
Typically puckering is tension related, yes but if fabric were to be pulled "strangely", I could see how it could contribute.

I had my industrial machine misbehave recently - the stitch length was all over the place, the tension was all over the place.

It was threaded right, recently serviced and test sewn and stitch length hadn't changed. When I looked closer though, the presser foot pressure was practically non-existent (I must have done that for the last project done on it - a sandbag weight for DH's ankle). I tightened it down to about "half" - for sewing a hem on some jeans - and all of my feed and tension problems disappeared. Weirdest thing but I learned that day that they're related more than I had thought.

My situation was the opposite, so I would think if anything, the presser foot pressure on a puckered seam - as long as everything else is right - could do this if it was massively too tight. Now, having said that, I don't know that most vintage machines have the adjustment range to be massively too tight...

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I don't know about that two screw threads showing. Things vary way much for that.
This is really close to how my FWs are set for piecing - but I agree, it's far to general for practical use - as a starting point though as mentioned, it's not a bad spot to start from on a FW because of its relatively narrow usage.