Old 11-07-2015, 04:28 AM
wandajean

Default Quilt of Valor for Dad ... binding problem!

Hi, I'm just finishing up a large lap size quilt of valor for my almost 80 year old Father. I'm pretty happy with it, but I made the mistake (after the quilting was finished) of cutting (squaring) it too close, and I didn't leave even 1/4" of batting to plump the binding. I have 8 point stars on the corners, so I can't sew the binding over farther onto the quilt or it will cover the points (by a long ways). The binding is navy with a red flange - via a Youtube video. That turned out great. I decided I would try the machine binding method, and sewed the binding onto the back of my quilt with a scant 1/4" seam.

The problem is that there will be no fullness in my binding if I sew it on as is. Does anyone know of something I can "fill" in the binding with before I sew it down? I thought maybe piping, but I'm thinking that would feel too round and hard. I also thought cutting narrow strips of batting, which would be the right "feel". I would think batting would be the right choice, but then I'm worried about securing it. I'd appreciate input ... Thanks!

I may try to upload some photos so you'll get a better idea.

Last edited by wandajean; 11-07-2015 at 04:32 AM.