Old 11-08-2015, 01:08 PM
GayleAnn

Default Manuel

Originally Posted by hidngh View Post
My friend has an Electro Hygiene just like the one you have pictured, but needs a manual, do you know where he can get one?
I have a manual. My mother purchased one in 1962, on the advice of my aunt, who was the best seamstress around. They were a popular brand in Ohio. The store that sold them in Youngstown still is in operation, on Market Street. I purchased a carrying case for what is now my machine. Mother had a plant on the cabinet, and as children, we watered it generously. Not that I'll take it anywhere. It weighs a ton. The man told me they are all steel, and I believe it. Even my husband struggles to lift it.

The guy in Youngstown has all the parts, and can tell you EVERYTHING about them. He didn't have a manual though. Then, I found mine. I have to scan it to send to the guy in Youngstown, so he has a copy.

Per him, it's better than the majority of things out there, because it is not all plastic. I've read a few things on line, none from people who have worked with them, which are rather condescending. Mine will do some embroidery, and has a variety of stitches. It uses Singer accessories, such as the button hole attachment, and I purchased some presser feet.

I decided I wanted to learn to sew clothing, not just piecing quilts, so I'm taking it to my lesson on the 16th for the instructor to see. I have an inexpensive older one I picked up at a Mennonite Thrift shop in White Horse (Gap). A sewing machine person in the area goes over all the ones donated as his contribution. So, you can pick up an inexpensive one to learn on, to see if you like it, before investing in something really high end, like a Bernina. I use the inexpensive one to piece. After the man's rave reviews. I thought I might be too inexperienced for the Electro Hygiene and all its options, which, compared to today's machines are not excessive, but they are more than the cheap one I'm using.

I'll be interested in seeing what the instructor thinks of it. The one I have was the top of the line model, and I know my aunt would not have recommended it had she thought it a poor machine.

I can give you a copy after I scan it.