Old 11-09-2015, 08:34 AM
heyjami

Default Vintage Feedsack Tops - what to back with?

I have 2 gorgeous feedsack tops that I want to use to practice longarming on - I have purchased them for so little and they would be perfect to make into quilts for me to cherish!

I've search far and wide and cannot find what others have used to back their quilts from the 30's-40's. More feedsacks? Muslin? Solids?

Just thought I'd ask those of you with antique quilts to please check your backs and let me know. At first I was just going to grab some cute reproduction feedsack fabric (and I may do that for one of them that is really faded). I'm noticing that with my quilts that I often turn the back to the outside for decor interest when placing on my couch. So that back can be very important after all (for use).

They are both pretty large. I'm surprised at how little I paid for them. One is hand-sewed and a variation on the Lone Star pattern (many small ones).

Thanks all! I have searched threads but none of them talk about backings that I can find. I have looked on my own antique quilts (I have 3) and have found muslin, a solid cotton, and sheeting/shirting material. So nothing consistent!
And, not a pieced jumble.
Attached Thumbnails img_4822-reduced.jpg   img_4823-reduced.jpg