View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by billswife99
Oh now that one turned out great! I really like the colors! I am going to have to suck it up and try the cubes now. Can you use the original fabric for them or do you think it needs to be different? I will have to do some checking to find something for Dad's Fall OBW. He would love trying to figure out that extra puzzle in the middle. LOL
In this one, I used different fabrics and I think that works best. Something that 'reads' as a solid in light, medium and dark of the same colourway. I guess tonals, blends or batiks would be good - these are scraps from my stash.

In the 'Woofers' one I did, I used the main fabric and the cubes nearly disappeared. (Also I didn't have the second book then so the cubes in that one aren't very 3D) I tried to cut from within the fabric in light, medium and dark places. Depends on the effect you're looking for I guess. Here's a link to it but I think you saw it before. http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-23403-1.htm

In this Leaf one, I tried to place them so the light side of a cube was against light hexagons and dark against dark because I wanted them to blend. A more striking effect would be to reverse this. Sorry, favourite subject, rambling! :oops: :lol: