View Single Post
Old 11-09-2015, 04:36 PM
NanaCsews2

We just bought an energy efficient furnace and central air system to replace an 18 yr old system last November. Heat is on 67 during the day. Night is 65. Fan runs on low continually. (Yes, it takes electricity, but it keeps a constant temp throughout the house.) We have a humidifier on our system that runs during the winter, and a dehumidifier during the summer. Which means the furnace or central air system rarely kicks in. In the summer the air is on 76-78 24/7. Our monthly budget bill for gas and electric totals 113, whereas before it was over 230 per month in winter and hottest month of summer. It paid to have it replaced. It will have paid for itself in less than 4 years, but we are sooooo comfortable year round. We live in Wisconsin, so we know what cold is.
We used to have an electric mattress pad I had to have on. That was with our old system. Last year I never put it on the bed. We have a wood fireplace but dont use it due to asthma. The floors are always warm, we can breathe because it isn't too dry or damp, and our skin is even much improved. It was a chunk to dish out to pay for it, but oh so worth it.

Jan in VA==how about some quilts on the windows and also over doorways that aren't used that often? I have seen this done and if I needed it, I would try it.

Last edited by NanaCsews2; 11-09-2015 at 04:38 PM.