View Single Post
Old 11-10-2015, 12:41 PM
Cari-in-Oly
Banned

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
That's so nice to hear :- ) I have read several advicing beginners to start with a more reasonably priced model or used machine, then advance to something with higher specs. I just don't see how quilting and patchwork can get that advanced (view point from someone who has just made a few patchwork cushion covers and a quilted blanket). I do see the point of those long arm machines but I hope to get by on a regular 201.
I grew up using my moms 1964 Brother machine. As an adult I always wanted more bells and whistles. Several years ago I gave moms machine to my oldest DD and bought a new machine with all the fancy stitches, etc..Quickly missed the old Brother and found another one. That started my SMAD, now have 50+ machines, mostly old but a few new ones in the herd. I have a real fondness for straight stitch machines but honestly, how many do I really need? I'm also a quilter and will be getting a long arm in the future. As far as quilting with a 201, I use mine for straight line quilting but for free motion work I've not been successful at all with it. In fact, out of all the quilters I know on other groups who use vintage machines, only one does great free motion work with her 201. I much prefer using a class 15 machine like my 160 Cambridge. I really want to put this machine on a frame.

Cari