View Single Post
Old 11-12-2015, 02:26 PM
Mickey2

Question Free motion / darning on Singer 201?

With my 201 came a darning foot I don't really understand. It has a spring action, though it never kicks in when I stitch, it might as well be with out the spring bit. It's foot No. 121094. I recently bought a generic jumping foot to try out, and my new vintage Elna Supermatic came with one that looks rather good. This is my basic equipment at the moment.

I have done my best to clean and adjust my 201. I realy like working on this machine, and I have cleaned, oiled and spent a lot of time fine tuning tension. I think the top tension is right, I can turn it from about 0 to 0, it's slightly off the 0, a notch towards 1. I have sewn double layer curtains, made a shirt and mended all knids of stuff on it. I some times have tendency towards loops under the fabric when using reverse stitching. I haven't quite sorted it out yet, but hope to. I struggle a bit with top stitching thread on occation, but it copes. I know this model can free motion, embroider and darn, I have seen old Singer tutoroal leaflets with the most perfect results I never have managed. I know it's not the obvious choice for free motion, but is there anyone here who lilkes this model for darning and reverse stitching, perhaps even a bit of quilting?

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-12-2015 at 02:29 PM.