Old 11-12-2015, 04:00 PM
Sheddah

Lyndaj: I understand what you are going through and am glad I came across your post. I'm so sorry that you have come across so much misinformation about Baby Lock vs. Brother. Truth be told they are the same machines, made with the same parts, in the same plant--manufactured by BROTHER. Yup, Babylock (Tacony) doesn't manufacture machines; they simply market and sell other manufacturers machines under their own "brand" name. I have read the hype also. In fact, sewists looking for machines have heard this garbage at some Baby Lock dealers. There is no justification for the Brother twin models under the Baby Lock brand name to cost so much more money. But Tacony has to purchase those machines from Brother and then mark them up to make a profit. So the "perception" of better quality is advantageous to the company. Without this perception why would anyone pay those high Baby Lock prices? I wondered about Brother vs. Baby Lock also when I was looking for a machine a year-and-a-half ago. So I did the research myself, and am sharing some of that with you. Brother not only manufactures Baby Lock, but they withhold exclusive features that are only available on their own brand machines.

For example, when comparing the current TOL Brother with the TOL Baby Lock, i.e. THE Dream Machine and Destiny, you will find that the Baby Lock is missing the stitch designer function. Brother keeps this feature for their machines exclusively as well as the Disney designs. If you doubt me about the machines being identical in build quality, call Tacony yourself and ask them. Other machine shoppers have and reported that Tacony told them the truth about the identical build between the two brands. It seems to be some dealers and buyers who are perpetuating this myth about the "superiority" of Baby Lock machines.

You can purchase the Brother twin machine for a lot less than the Baby Lock Aria--the same machine that sings to you. It is the same machine, same build, same quality for less money (and the Baby Lock version will likely be missing some exclusive Brother feature).

Disclosure: I bought a Brother DreamWeaver after considering a Bernina 7 Series, a Pfaff Creative Sensation and Baby Lock Unity. I could have bought any of these machines with cash. I chose the DreamWeaver for reliability, the ability to sew over multiple layers and intersecting seams with ease, and the simplicity of the embroidery features. I didn't want Disney, but personally I found the whole "gold" painted plastic thing with BAby Lock unappealing and phony. Plus it cost a lot more.

I LOVE this machine. It does anything I ask of it and hasn't skipped a beat. I got a GREAT price and am glad I didn't fall prey to all the hype. Did I say I LOVE this machine? ;-) My suggestion, buy the machine you love. But find out the truth about these machines--don't be mislead or duped by selling tactics or by buyers who feel the need to justify the high price they paid.

Last edited by Sheddah; 11-12-2015 at 04:03 PM.