View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Flying_V_Goddess

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Its that time of year where people who garden are getting their seed catalogs in the mail. Some will be starting seeds in a couple months while others will wait until the ground thaws (or whenever the local green house has stocked up on transplants).

This year (as some of you already know) I'm starting a gardening project of my own where most of the vegetables and herbs grown will be given away to people who really need it. Even in a little town like the one I live in there's people who are short on food.

I hope that other gardeners on this board (and even those who want to try their hand at growing something) will follow suit and give away some of their produce to those who really need it. Whether its a row of your garden (or a raised bed if you don't do traditional rows) or a single tomato plant in a pot growing on your back porch.
I don't garden, I have a black thumb, but when people give me veggies in the summer, I always share with others in need.
I thought I had a black thumb, too. I happened to get a job last summer working on all the decorative flower beds around town, but I also had a couple beds at the senior center (which was home base for meeting my site supervisor since she was also running the center) that I could plant whatever I wanted. Besides growing this wonderful flower bed with day lillies, pansies, marigolds, etc. (the green house was just down the road so sometimes I'd get flowers that were on sale before work) I also grew peppers and tomatoes. The tomato plants were five feet tall! This is coming from the person who somehow killed every plant she'd try to take care of. I didn't kill a single plant all summer (even after I had stepped on a tomato plant while planting another one...it grew back!)

Now I don't believe there's such a thing as people with a "green" or "black" thumb. I think its just a matter of how you garden and honing in on those skills.