View Single Post
Old 11-13-2015, 06:14 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I spent some time yesterday twiddling with my turquoise-colored White that I picked up at a thrift shop a few weeks ago.

This one, "Betty":

I have had a heck of a time getting the belt right. The first one I tried was too large (black v-shape belt). I went onto Sew Classic and bought the belt they have listed for this specific machine - one of the amber belts with the tread. It IS smaller, but for some reason it slips like mad, can't get it tight enough to hold, even if I give it a shove at the start. So yesterday I pulled out a spare black v-shape belt I have on hand for my Singer 319 and even though it's a quarter-inch larger than the amber belt it grips much better. I need to go look online again and see if I can find one that's a little smaller, it still slips a bit at the start and I have lots of adjustment space left for a smaller belt.

But once I got that going, I played with her for awhile and she's a dreamy sewer. Quiet, smooth, and really cooks when you put the pedal down without sounding angry about it. Easy to adjust to a perfect quarter-inch seam. I'm in love!

<snip>
That is exactly the same thing I've found when using the lugged amber belts. The sellers are pushing them as better, but they are not. The only lugged belts that I've found that actually work are the double lugged black belts like the 60s Kenmores came with. I think the pulleys were changed to match the belts. Other than those I avoid the amber lugged belts as much as possible.

That's a nice machine. When you get a belt that's the right size and works good, write the number down and don't loose it.

Joe