Old 11-13-2015, 08:46 AM
canuckninepatch

Default On the Look out for a sewing machine from the 1800's

Hello, I live in Ontario, Canada for three seasons of the year, and spend Jan. - March in Fort Myers, Florida. My ancestors have been in the Niagara area of Canada since the late 1700's, and my nephew has recently acquired the 200 year old home of our ancestors, John and Magdalena Brown, through a non-profit, family foundation here in St. Catharines, Ontario. See the website www.jbhf.ca. There is a LOT of work to be done on the house before we get to the point of furnishing it, but, being a quilter, I am on the look out for a vintage sewing machine from the 1800's, if possible, to find a home in one of the rooms. We have about 4 beautiful old quilts that we are in the process of having appraised, which will be displayed somewhere in the house, and there is a broken down weaving loom in the house at present, which they will have restored as well. I want to be on the look out for an appropriate sewing machine, but don't know where to start, what kind to look for, where to look. Would a hand crank have preceded the treadle? Help me, please! There's no rush, as the house has just been secured "as is" for winter, and there is lots of work ahead before it will be ready for "furnishing".