Old 11-13-2015, 12:46 PM
canuckninepatch

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
Can you be more specific on the time frame? There is a very wide range and changes to machines between 1850 and 1900. High arm machines started coming out late 1880's, and there is not near the changes between 1890 and about WW2 era, when machines started being produce with cheaper, lighter weight materials.

Handcrank/Treadle was more the choice of the individual, and in the US, treadles were way more common than hand cranks. No idea which was more popular in Canada.

There were only a few Canadian Mfg, lots of US and lots of Foreign made machines, what would you prefer?

That house has a LOT of history, and what machine may have been found in it in 1870's (possibly a nice MOP Singer 12) would have been very different than what was found in it in 1890's.

And if anyone wants to know what type of machine would have been found in the early 1800's, I'll leave that up to Steve H (that's sort of a trick question LOL!!)

Sounds and looks like a really neat project!
I appreciate your input. Steve gave me some input on Raymond brand sewing machines. It is quite possible that the family may have had a U.S. machine, since they had been living in upper N.Y. state before they came across to Canada.