Old 11-14-2015, 05:10 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by SewMachines View Post
Wow! What a beautiful machine! It will be stunning after just a little cleaning. Looks to be about 1875 if that is the serial number. I love the mother of pearl. Congrats!!
Thank you. Yes, that is the serial number on the front lip of the machine. I thought I had seen some serial numbers and the associated year but couldn't find it again. I did see that it is a Model 3. This machine didn't come with bobbin cover plates Is that where there would be the patent numbers that have been referred to when describing many antique machines?

Mother of pearl is neat. There are some chips in the bed. [ATTACH=CONFIG]535630[/ATTACH]
Any suggestions for simple cleaning and protection? I know the standard answer is sewing machine oil. I used TR3 on my sister's Lotus 66-1 and was pleased with that. (I'll have to write and see if it has held up as that was about five years ago.) Seems like I have read something here about equal parts linseed oil and vinegar and was wondering about that especially as related to the mother of pearl.

The machine as a whole moves surprisingly freely even though it seems dry. John figured out that if under piece of the tension assembly is pushed up it will raise the top of it. I'm guessing that is so that the thread can be laid in it. I also found that if it is twisted that there is a pin on the shaft so that it will stay in the raised position. How do you remove the tension to clean & polish?

There are some of the oil holes that seem plugged. Also I haven't tried to loosen any of the screws on the machine. The presser foot looks to be pretty well varnished on. I'm think of wrapping cloth around the needle bar & presser foot then putting plastic bag over so that I can douse it with kerosene and let it soak - probably for a few days - so that I can get those pieces off to clean & polish. I have some Wieman's silver polish that I used recently on some metal parts and found that it had a slicker feel than Brasso.

Suzanne, you said that yours takes Boye 18 needles. Would mine take those as well? I also found mention that MY1014 will work with this model at http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post3435789 I haven't taken the broken needle shank out of the needle clamp. Kind of funny that I found the shaft in the "drip pan."

I didn't take a picture of the bonnet. The latch does work with a S2 square bit. I found - Turn LEFT (counter clockwise) to LOCK the latch. Turn RIGHT (clockwise) to RELEASE the latch.

Is there a way to adjust the stitch length on this machine?

Does the bobbin winder have a spring end like the Singer 27 type bobbin winders?

Are there any "warnings" or "tricks" to cleaning, removing parts, adjusting specific to this machine?
I know the standard - gently, methodically and with lots of pictures.

More later, I'm sure.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails bed.jpg  

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-14-2015 at 05:18 AM. Reason: insert image