Old 11-14-2015, 10:54 AM
Notwendy

This might seem off the wall but have you considered looking on craigslist or similar for an older machine in good working order (i.e. Won't need any real service and has been in recent use)? I found three heavy duty Kenmores from the 60s in cabinets with plenty of extras and haven't paid more than $80 (2 were under $50).

They often come in nice colors (I have green, lavender & blue) and they sew like tanks - sewing through denim, etc with ease.

While they aren't exactly portable, even out of the table, they have many advantages for new and/or young sewers. They are easy to maintain and troubleshoot, so won't discourage someone by being finicky or in need of expensive shop visits.
They sew through anything making experimenting with various fabrics fun.
Many have fun extras such as cams for decorative stitches and take standard feet and needles.
Being all or mostly metal, they withstand inexpert handling and many have heavy-duty motors that can't be matched by inexpensive, plastic models.

just my .02 as a fairly new sewer and quilter - plus the search is its own fun - they can each help find one they like, even if it means a bit later than Christmas.