Old 11-14-2015, 03:18 PM
madamekelly

Originally Posted by AnnieF View Post
I am a scrappy quilter and have been quilting for a lot of years. Ten years ago, I joined a quilt ministry where my group makes baby quilts for the Special Care Nursery at Highland Hospital in Rochester, NY. I make about 40 baby quilts a year so needless to say I have boxes and bags of scraps everywhere in my quilt studio (left-over binding being the most plenniful).....and the scraps just keep piling up. Then I saw this post on Pinterest:
http://quispamsisquilter.blogspot.co...nce-block.html

The post has been on-line since 2011 but this is the first I've seen it. It interested me because it uses 2 1/2" strips.....and when you finish, you have a block measuring 12"X12".....you actually use up 2 yards of fabric strips to make one block. I've tried scrap buster patterns before but this is the only one that has made a very obvious dent in my scraps. I've been at it for a month....organizing my scraps by color and making blocks in colorways (blue, green, red, pink, purple, brown,turquois, yellow, etc.). I have about 100 blocks made (making the block is just straight sewing, so you can chain-piece) and when I get all my colorways done, I'm going to start assembling them into quilt tops. It should go quickly since the blocks are so large. Click on the link and see for yourself. It really is easy
I keep all little scraps of strips under 6 inches long, separated by size, in the top drawer of my sewing desk, and when I need to relax, I sew and roll them like a honey bun. I use them to create fabric for small projects. I make the fabric using the "1600 quilt style". Looks like I worked hard with the pieceing, and makes instant crazy patches. Best of all, the rolls can just keep growing until I need it. You could even do them as "leaders and enders".