Old 11-15-2015, 01:13 PM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by SewMachines View Post
To remove the shuttle I turn the wheel until the shuttle is in the most forward position. It is almost under the needleplate. I can put my fingernail in the slot near the back and lift it out allowing the pointed nose to dip forward while lifting. The bobbin is held in the shuttle by a spring loaded circle at the nose (pointed) end. Mine was gunky and frozen when I got it. Oiling and gently pushing down on the circle pad with a toothpick finally released the bobbin.

I can't wait to see your beauty as it comes along. It always makes me happy to see these lovely oldies brought back to life!

Suzanne
Thank you, I just couldn't get the shuttle out that way. I will try again after I get it cleaned up some more. I wish I could find some more info on Weed machines. I did find one picture of some attachments but they look like the hemmers/binders are attached to the bed. I couldn't tell what one of the attachments was as it was in the back. I think it may have been a tucker that could be attached in place of the standard presser foot.

I'm excited to bring it back to life, too.

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
16 ga for most ,14 ga for older ones has been successful for me.
Thanks, I will see if I can find some scraps in 14 or 16 gauge the right size. I'm guessing that there is a little ledge or lip on top and exact size. I understand why a lot of sliding plates are missing. A nice thing about the Pfaff K and that era of Pfaff long shuttles is that they have a little screw on the back side of the plates to keep them from coming all the way off.

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Great looking machine! Beautiful MOP. The Linseed Oil and vinegar is for cleaning the wood only. Keep it away from your machine please. IIRC Steve has experimented with it and likes the results.
Rodney
Yes Steve had good results on the wood and he actually accidently got some on Florence. Turns out that it brought out some decals he didn't know were there. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post6829095

I thought I would see what I could do today before it gets put in the work stand. I've been able to remove the screw for the presser foot, but not been able to remove the foot, yet. I put some Tri-Flow on it. I was also able to get the bobbin winder off. It seems like there was some "play" when it was screwed on so I may try to find either a thin nylon washer or maybe make a small felt washer to put between the bed and the bobbin winder.

Don't shoot me. I thought under the bobbin winder was a nice inconspicuous place to try some TR3 - I don't think I will use it on the mother of pearl, but I sure like the results I got on the decals under the bobbin winder. Before I started -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535746[/ATTACH]

This is just starting to use TR3 -

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535745[/ATTACH]

And after several cotton balls of TR3

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535747[/ATTACH]

I also did a little at the base of the pillar behind the BW - and discovered this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535748[/ATTACH]

well.... as long as I had the TR3 out I thought I would try it on the arm that goes across to the needle bar.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]535749[/ATTACH]

I still have a long way to go to get it cleaned up. I'm pleased with it so far.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails b4-start-underbwbetter-light.jpg   b4-underbw.jpg   after-underbw-w-tr3.jpg   discovered-behind-bw.jpg   needle-bar-arm-during-tr3.jpg