View Single Post
Old 11-16-2015, 10:19 AM
Mickey2

Today I bumped into a blog post where someone described how the made baby quilts on the 201, flawless stitching! Singer made this model from the late 1920s until 1963 and it was rather expensive to make even in the last years of production. It came with dropping feed dogs from the start, and all kinds of detailed tutorials on how to darn, quilt and embroider. I have searched abit on the web, there are quilters on several blogs and youtube videos who have made this model work. I can't give up on this model because of some tension issues.

I bought this machine because of two blogs; Sewalot and ArchaicArcane; both bragging something awful of this model, and gave lots of hints and help on how to fix it up. I spent hours with Tammi's tension video, talking me through all the small uncertainties the written manual left me with. I so liked the idea of one of those black shiny machines with gold decals too.

I think my top tension mechanism is working as it should; I can at least turn it from 0 to 0, just slightly off sync towards number 1. For bobbin tension, it's sort of a guess, and a case trial and error. I used Gütermann sew it all polyester, set top tension between 4 and 5 and test sewed and adjustend the tiny screw until it stitched fine. I have fiddled with tension since then, particluralry when using top stitch thread, in one case it was like I could not get top tension tight enough; loops under.

For the free motion; I practice with sew-it-all polyester thread (Gütermann) or medium to light all cotton (what ever brand I happen to have). I use two layers of medium to ligth cotton, maybe I should double up or have some insulation in there, but for the practice sewing this is what I have used. I have hoops, springed darning feet (I might have to get a better one), a vintage quilting foot and the regular foot.

I get hoops under the fabric, not sure how to go about adjusting. I have done the initial tension setting, I turn tension tighter when I get hoops under there, but not much difference. I understand I'm not the first who has struggeled a bit with the 201, but I read of several who have success with it. I can't get a model 15 just for the quilting !

Now what are clever tricks? I am practicing even, smooth, slow movements, when stitching; any more secrets with the tensioner? My machine is oiled and cleaned every where, Triflow has been flooding at times.

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-16-2015 at 10:26 AM.