Thread: Applique method
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 12:00 AM
Bree123

Needle turn because it's portable, I don't have to spend oodles of time ironing fabrics & I really love the finish. Also, it's so much easier to only stitch through fabric instead of trying to run an applique needle through fusible web.

But there is a place in this world for all types of applique & I've tried all the different methods -- machine stitched raw edge (button hole, straight stitch), hand stitched raw edge, freezer paper, needle turn. Sometimes I will combine different techniques together in the same quilt, especially if it's a detailed design where my needle turn skills will not give me a detailed result.

I only just got a machine that does machine applique earlier this year so I'm not very good at it, but the children's hospital by me will only take donations if they are 100% machine stitched so it's nice that I can now add some of the designs that I really love to my charity quilts without having to borrow someone else's machine.

PS -- I forgot to mention that I do raw edge stitched by hand for felted wool applique since you obviously cannot turn wool & I like the look of perle cotton (which you cannot run through machine).

Last edited by Bree123; 11-19-2015 at 12:05 AM.