Thread: Which Bernina?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 09:59 AM
Mickey2

I hope to get a Bernina 117 or 114 and will jump at the first chance I get. They are much heavier and more solidly built than the later domestic models.

I can recommend any of the 500, 600, 700 and 800 series, even though they are lighter built compared to pre war models, they are sturdy capable machines and not really light weight. There are various versions of them, the Records have more stitch patterns, up to 20 besides straight stitch and zigzag (I think the 530 has 12), most of them have the buttonholer. Not all of the earlier "non-records''' have it. They all have satin stitch fine tuning, it can be an advantage if you make use of the extra stitch patterns or buttonholes. The major advantage would be the free arm, it makes it easier on some type of stitching, though it has a lot to to with habit. All these models take the old style Bernina feet, up to the 900 series I think.

I have stayed away from the machines with electronic boards only because I don't know how to repair them, and I know it can be a hassle to get replacement parts. I haven't seen all the sub models in these series, but I have seen all the Records and a few of the others, and they all seem to be versions of the same theme; all with a motor at the back, the top lifts up, lots of red dots on the oil points and system with two motor belts running the mechanism. It was already established in the 125. As the decades progress you can see more features added, not so much stitch patterns as turn knobs in stead of levers. Some machines have knee lever speed control. The 730 have pedal control and knee lever presser foot lifter; I don't think any models in the 600 series have it. The 500 series have a knob type top stitch tensioner in front in the usual place, some in the 600 series do too, but the 630 record and 700 series seem to all have top tension on top of the machine (a groove where the thread goes). It's not until the 900 series you get the stretch stitch Elna had since the 50s, though it's a much quieter computerised machine.

They are quiet, smooth running and very problem free machines, not as quiet as a Singer 201 though, but they run much faster at top speed. There have been heating issues with at least one of the foot controller models, as far as I know they have been in for repairs or replacements. I'm not sure there are good repacements for the electronic foot controler of the 830, the solution would be repair or second hand.

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-19-2015 at 10:03 AM.