Old 11-20-2015, 07:57 AM
OurWorkbench

Default 11-20-15 Progress report

Thanks Steve for the reminder on how to clean screws. I had forgotten that was how I cleaned the small screws on my sister's machine. On larger screws that I can hold onto the head I will sometimes put brasso or oil on crochet thread or use heavier dental floss then wrap around a thread of the screw and spiral back and forth along the length of the screw. I will have to try your method for the holes that the screws go in. I also have some small brushes for cleaning airbrushes, but those don't work on some things.

I'm not sure of the "proper" terms from some of the parts of this machine so -- please excuse and/or inform of proper names.

The cam and what I call a roller are really bad. I have gotten a little of the gunk off, but still not rolling.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536123[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536124[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536125[/ATTACH]

I haven't done a whole lot but have done some as shown on work stand thread. http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...ml#post7381459 I cleaned some on the underside with alcohol swabs that I got about 9 years ago. I think that the swabs may have dried a bit from when they were new since when squeezed they don't drip.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536126[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536127[/ATTACH]

I still haven't gotten the broken needle out -- I keep trying. I put a swab put on it and then a mini ziplock bag over it. I put a clothes pin over it to hold in place. When I took it off the swab had moved. I did get a little bit of the dried oil off that area.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536128[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536129[/ATTACH]

I got the pressure regulating screw to move a little with a piece of rubber around it and vice grips. Just twisted back and forth a bit. I tried by hand after I got it to move but couldn't do it by hand, so more oil. I didn't take a picture.

I think I have at least figured out how to adjust the stitch length, but it will need a lot of cleaning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536131[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]536132[/ATTACH]

I brought a thin piece (24? gauge) of metal home the width of the sliding plates. I think I got the right width. The ledges on the sides are really narrow - it will be interesting to get something that will work. I have some other work that needs to be done before I'm ready for the plates. I'm still kind of brainstorming about them.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
Attached Thumbnails roller302.jpg   roller316.jpg   cleaningroller323.jpg   alcholswabs363.jpg   undersidesomeclean307.jpg  

p1130353experiment.jpg   p1130354flipped.jpg   maybestitchlength309.jpg   st-length-side-maybe336.jpg  

Last edited by OurWorkbench; 11-20-2015 at 08:04 AM.