Old 11-21-2015, 02:32 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by maryb119 View Post
Can you look for a good used Pfaff? You might get more stitches for your money. I love mine and both of them have the blanket stitch. Call the nearest dealer and ask if they have one available or if they know anyone who may be wanting to sell their machine.
I have been. Pfaff machines seem to keep their value here,which puts the models I'd be looking at in the $500+ range. I love my 6122 - completely mechanical and all utility and stretch stitches. This is the only stitch I wish it had.

I made a big mistake the day I sold my Kenmore 150. It had a blanket stitch but I had so many machines, it was a plastic fantastic, I'd just gotten my embroidery machine and was feeling broke....

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
It's snowing outside, my brain is in lock down ............... what does a blanket stitch look like?

Joe
No sympathy for you on the snow thing! We get it worse and longer, I'll bet.
http://www.singerco.com/sewing-resou...tch-detail/217

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
I like Bernina, but I don't think any of the vintage machines has the blanket stitch; not until the 930 eighties model (I think it has it, but I can't confirm it atm). 1980s is sort of border line vintage, maybe if you are 16 years old it feel like that lol. I would expect any QE version to have this sitich, most current models in general?

The Elnagraph has a blanket stitch disk, I think it's No. 146 (I'm on the hunt for it). The Supermaitc is in my mind true vintage, and I suspect this is the only 1950s machine with back stitch patterns. I don't even know of a 1960s model who has it, though I suspect there are the odd exception, the Japanese jumped for the cam technology around that time. I have next to no knowledge of vitage Japanese brands unfortunately, though I have noticed a few nice machines and interesting features a few times.

If I rememeber correctly, you have some traumatic memories of a Supermatic giving you truble at some point. I can let you know, mine is working fairly well, maybe not fine tuned to your standards, but I managed to get the metal pulley with O-rings on!!! Still a bit on the noisy side, but compared to industrials it's really not (pedaling for some arguments in it's advatage). I'm keeping this machine for the time being, I think I might grow to like it. I just can't see me doing any free motion on it yet. If a later model happens to land on you, I think they were driven by two belts and no pulley.

If you are open to different techniques there is a blog devoted to vintage macines and very true to the techniques at the time. It's a bit cumbersom to maneuver to the correct pages, but the result is quite nice. It feels a bit advanced too me, I have read it several times but I don't quite get it. It looks like it's all done by hand, but from what I read she only talks about free motion and how to get the blanket stitch done on machine? She often uses a treadle model 15 and a 66 if I remember correctly.
If I recall, most of the QE models have many different blanket stitches. Had a 2027 in here this morning... it would be fine and less than a QE. A less scrupulous tech would have told her it was un-fixable, since I know that she wants an excuse to get a new machine with a bigger throat...

I've had a lot of dealings with those pulleys and the one I removed to make a video on replacing them caused bloodshed and a re-shoot. And then that pulley ate itself within a day of use. We're not currently friends, no. Yes, the later models did go to belts. They saw the flaw in the design finally. How do you like the metal pulley versus the old rubber one? Where did you source it?

All of the pages I saw on Muv's site were for hand stitched blanket stitches. I think she's great and way more co-ordinated than I am - FMQ on a treadle would result in many grievous injuries to me.