Old 11-21-2015, 03:21 PM
ThayerRags

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
Vintage machine that does a blanket stitch? ....
Does anyone have any suggestions?
I found myself in the same boat. My wife wanted a machine that would do the blanket stitch. With all of the vintage machines that I had stashed around, not one of them (that was serviceable) would make a blanket stitch. And I couldn’t find anything much in my online search either. It would have to be a newer machine that reversed the feed (or stopped the feed, if you will), and the good old metal machines didn’t have that function. I was searching for about 3 years.....

Then, in a stroke of good luck, she entered a drawing for a sewing machine at a Quilt Show, and won. It’s a Singer 5400 Sew Mate, and it has a blanket stitch on it (60 built-in stitches). Thanks for miracles, because she has now done several projects with it (just the blanket stitch) and is tickled with it. I don’t think that she’s ever used any other stitch on that machine, including the straight stitch. She folds her Singer 301A down in its cabinet, and puts the new 5400 up on it to do her blanket stitches. It’s been going strong for several projects...

CD in Oklahoma