View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Bree123

Default Supplies for Beginning Hand Quilting

I am getting stuff to start hand quilting for Christmas.

I had decided on the quilting hoop that Thimble Lady makes that goes under the thighs, but I'm not sure whether to get the rest of the stuff that's in her beginner kit or whether to get some supplies from elsewhere ... or how to pick.

I know a lot of members have said they prefer the Roxanne needles. I've used John James quilting needles for some very limited hand quilting (inside applique) & had a Clover metal thimble that was close to useless so I usually ended up using my leather scissors cover to push the needle through. I don't have a huge amount of money to just try a bunch of different supplies out so I'm wondering if those of you who do hand quilting can share what you like/don't like about needles/thimbles/Aunt Becky or anything else you use for hand quilting. Also, I plan to continue using Aurifil thread covered in bee's wax & am wondering if there is a certain weight I should use ... or would I really be better off with some other type of cotton thread (and why)?

I will be working with white muslin whole cloth & most of the quilting design is cross hatch. I'm planning to use Hobb's Heirloom Organic Cotton batting.

Thank you so much for indulging my beginner questions. It's for my nephew & since there is nothing but quilting, I feel extra pressure to do a good job with the quilting.