View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 07:56 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I agree with Genden about using a hand quilting thread. They are glazed, which makes them stronger than regular sewing thread, and the glazing makes the thread glide through the sandwich without getting the knots and tangles that are common with unglazed thread. Using the right thread makes a surprisingly *huge* difference in ease of quilting and also speed, since you don't have to stop because of tangles.

I have hand quilted without a hoop and with a hoop. For me, with a hoop is definitely better! I watched the thimble lady's video, as I have not used her hoop. There are two things I wonder about her hoop. First, I noticed she sits in a regular dining room style chair in her demo. I am wondering if that makes it more comfortable to sit on the wooden pieces. I think it would become uncomfortable for me to sit on the wood for a long time, especially on a couch or other soft surface. I do not see any advantage to this type of hoop over a lap hoop. Second, I see that her hoop tilts in a fixed way. My hoop has infinite tilt which allows me to adjust the tilt to any angle I prefer. The hoop I own and love is no longer made. The one that is closest to it in features is this Grace hoop, which gets good reviews:
http://www.graceframe.com/site/hoops/laphoops

Batting makes a huge difference in ease of hand quilting. I agree with Genden that 100% cotton batting is harder to hand quilt than an 80/20 batting. You might want to switch to Hobbs 80/20 cotton batting or, even better, to Hobbs wool batting. Wool batting is supposed to be extremely easy to hand quilt, plus it gives super definition to the quilting. I have heard that the Quilter's Dream thin cotton batting is good for hand quilting, but it won't give the definition that wool would give.

The Aunt Becky tool is notoriously difficult to master. Most quilters give up on it pretty quickly. My preference is for a thimble with deep dimples and a high rim. Most thimbles have dimples that are too shallow. The thimble recommended by Aunt Becky is a really good one; if I can find a link to it I will post it.

I am going to look for the needles Genden mentioned for my next hand quilting project.

I would not be able to finish a quilt for this Christmas. My fingers would get too sore!