Old 11-22-2015, 04:14 AM
Mickey2

Originally Posted by ArchaicArcane View Post
I think the pulleys warm up just like the tires on a race car, then they have great traction.
That has to be it, I didin't think of it like that. I did wonder what it could be, one less unknow factor is one less worry when sorting issues out. .

The aluminum pulley thing looked like the best way to me too. I'm glad it worked for you and that someone made one for you.
I was very lucky there, and by a guy who has made quite a few of them. It's something I could not do on my own, and finding someone with the right machinery and willing to do it is easier said than done.

...it's just that I don't like the pulleys or that bobbin case (did you follow that YouTube video with all the stills? It's unreal what you can find in there! That will contribute to noise too - not all lint is sound deadening material! ...I guess I just find them high maintenance.
I don't mind the pulley as much if it works, it should be less of a maintanance problem with the O-rings. Yes, I did follow that still picture video, and had to watch it over and over. It was full of lint and fluff dow there, major thread mess, everthing was jammed, but not worse than the neglected machine in general. Previous owner used class 15 bobbins and had needle in the wrong way. I did find it a bit cumbersome to have to loosen two screws to take out the bobbin case though, but after the initial cleaning I hop I can manage to maintain it with q-tips, tweasers and a brush.

Compared to the 201 I find it the Supermatic bit abrupt, everything feels "thightly fit" in a way, but it's much faster, speed and swing needle movment are very different. The easy feel when maneuvering fabric on those old straight stitchers is one of their advatanges. I am getting used to the bobbin case; I had problem with the thread jumping out of the bobbin tensioner until I figured out how to pull it down correctly. I am getting better at lifting up the bobbin too, it has to be a light finger in just the right place for it to come out smoothly. I'm getting more into this macine as I gradually become familiar with it's quirks.

Last edited by Mickey2; 11-22-2015 at 04:19 AM.