Old 11-22-2015, 05:04 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by sewbeadit View Post
I checked out google for blanket stitches on sewing machines and they show pics of many different blanket stitches, so I guess it depends on the type you are looking for. I have one that goes 2-3 stitches straight then stitches over 2 stitches like a hand done blanket stitch, sort of and it is on a Janome 8900. Not much help.lol
Believe me, if a 8900 was in the budget, I'd be all over it.

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
That has to be it, I didin't think of it like that. I did wonder what it could be, one less unknow factor is one less worry when sorting issues out. .

I was very lucky there, and by a guy who has made quite a few of them. It's something I could not do on my own, and finding someone with the right machinery and willing to do it is easier said than done.

I don't mind the pulley as much if it works, it should be less of a maintanance problem with the O-rings. Yes, I did follow that still picture video, and had to watch it over and over. It was full of lint and fluff dow there, major thread mess, everthing was jammed, but not worse than the neglected machine in general. Previous owner used class 15 bobbins and had needle in the wrong way. I did find it a bit cumbersome to have to loosen two screws to take out the bobbin case though, but after the initial cleaning I hop I can manage to maintain it with q-tips, tweasers and a brush.

Compared to the 201 I find it the Supermatic bit abrupt, everything feels "thightly fit" in a way, but it's much faster, speed and swing needle movment are very different. The easy feel when maneuvering fabric on those old straight stitchers is one of their advatanges. I am getting used to the bobbin case; I had problem with the thread jumping out of the bobbin tensioner until I figured out how to pull it down correctly. I am getting better at lifting up the bobbin too, it has to be a light finger in just the right place for it to come out smoothly. I'm getting more into this macine as I gradually become familiar with it's quirks.
I think that warm up and extra stick once it's warmed up is also how you can tear a pulley off the machine too. I have photos of the pulley after an hour's work and I didn't think that was even possible but I've seen it. I was the one who ran the machine and tore it off but I believe them based on the time frame in which it happened.

When I'm just operating a Supermatic or similar, I really don't mind them. It's the opening them up and having to jump through all the extra hoops that makes me grumble. Once they're dialed in, I think they're really neat little machines and make great stitches.

The 15 bobbin is weird. I thought that would be too tall and probably too much drag with the plate closed. I've seen 66 bobbins in them though, almost every one I've come across in fact.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
My Elna Carina has a couple disks, 150 & 152, that might be considered to be a blanket stitch. One is straight and the other has a slant to it. I bought it last summer - it was in need of some bobbin area adjustments. It is one nice machine though. Igor's wife, Igora, may have taken it apart and reassembled it wrong. The slide show guy on Utube to the rescue and bobbin carrier is good to go. I'm finding myself using that machine a lot for appliqué. I'll have to try the disks out some time.
I have that slant stitch on my Pfaff, I think. It's a stretch stitch of some sort. I do have one of the white cams for one of the "newer" (i.e. 630, 758, etc) Singers but I don't know that I want to have one sitting around for just a blanket stitch. What stitch are you using for the applique? I've promised myself I'll learn to use my embroidery machine for some applique too. I know I don't have the patience for handwork, so this is the only way I'll do it even though I love the look of applique.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I don't know of any home sewing machine that would do a true blanket stitch either. There are some things that just look a lot better done by hand.
Some of the high end computerized machines do what I think looks like a nice blanket stitch. I just can't currently justify that sort of buy in for what amounts to one stitch (and a knee lift, needle down, speed control, start/stop button... ) that I don't have currently.