View Single Post
Old 11-22-2015, 05:05 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Macybaby View Post
2.5 on my Viking, which I think is about 12 per inch, but I'd have to measure to be sure.
25.4mm to an inch. 10spi. I was forced to be bilingual in math at least - My dad spoke imperial, we were taught metric and he helped me with my homework if I got stuck.

I do agree that the quilt and binding both look great!

Jo, The way I've been doing my bindings lately - these are not supposed to be show quality, just utility bindings:
Set my guide up for a fat quarter inch, stitch the binding to the back of the quilt, mitering corners, joining the ends, etc. Bring the binding to the front making sure I cover the first stitch line by maybe about a 1/16", move my needle 2 "clicks" to the left and stitch the front down. With a 2" binding, I'm getting a nice consistent fairly straight stitched binding. It puts the top stitching on the binding on both sides of the quilt so it looks uniform - which is good because I've been doing small projects lately that people see both sides of. This could also be mimicked on a straight stitch (fixed needlebar) machine with an external guide that moves to the right "two notches" - or probably a little less than 1/8". If there's any interest in the process, I'll measure how much a "click" is on the Pfaff and figure out how much of an inch it is.

Or else this one is popular right now. It takes some adjustments if you're not using the Bernina foot she talks about. My Felling foot is a 6mm and my Pfaff lets me put the needle outside the felling area which ruins the whole process - so I can't just put the needle all the way to the left I have to play a little. The binding comes out looking very much like the way I described above.