Old 11-23-2015, 04:21 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
The stitch it has that looks like the one pictured in the link is called the stretch stitch.
It looks like a blanket stitch but the side fed stitches are slanted? My Pfaff calls that an open overlock stitch.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I don't get professional, computer machine results but I just use a zz stitch, which that little Elna does beautifully. A couple months ago I bought a cheap plastic wonder machine because it had a kit and some appliqué scissors. The scissors are German made and were a true prize. I would recommend getting a pair if you do raw edge appliqué. I had some fabric with HUGE flowers so I cut them fussy and appliquéd them on totes. The first couple I did were on a Montgomery Ward machine. I can't say I was thrilled with the results but the main reason was I didn't think much of the presser foot on that machine. The Elna had a nicer stitch and I liked the foot. I've never use a blanket stitch for appliqué but I just do raw edge. I'm not sure how a blanket stitch would do on raw edge. I can think of other reasons I'd like a blanket stitch or a button hole stitch but I just do them by hand anyway. I like the hand done look better. One of the things I like about the Corina Elna is the foot control can go slow. I like a slow speed for appliqué. It is easier to go around curves and get the details crisp. I've often though a hand crank with fancy stitches would be nice for that but I haven come across anything I wanted to use or would work. I've seen some that could but didn't like the machine.
Oh! A satin stitch for the applique. Of course. That's the way I first tried machine applique. It's also how I overheated my pedal on the 403 and learned to take apart the pedal and clean all of the disks and how that couple of posts came to be on my site. LOL! These days, I'd still try my 411G but it would have to be with an electronic pedal for the same reason you mention - being able to go slowly.

I picked up a grab bag a couple of months ago at a thrift store that had a pair of Italian made Gingher Duck bill applique scissors in it. I agree, I love them for the delicate work. As best I can tell, blanket stitches are for turn under applique and largely decorative. You can ladder stitch it otherwise and have it invisible.

Treadled 401G/411G might do an interesting job of a satin stitched applique.

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
I think all these Kenmore cams that come in the books fit a variety of machines and probably would fit in mine...... if I didn't have it buried in the basement..... for emergencies. I like that machine, but it's left homing and I'm not comfortable with it.

We should probably build some sort of list of those cams, unless someone has one. I couldn't google one and my manual only lists a small amount of the options.
I feel like a fish out of water with left homing machines too. It's just weird, I keep wanting to align the needlebar.
I'm quite sure that there's a cams thread here somewhere. I don't remember who started it though.

Originally Posted by DonnaMiller View Post
My Janome Horizon does blanket stitch. Perhaps they have other models that do as well.
Janome has a number of models that will do it. I might just break down and get myself a "new" machine while they're on sale this month at the dealer I like. I'm just scared it will go from a $500 machine what will "do" to the one that has all the bells and whistles that I'd like to have. I guess I better pick a couple of my machines to purge to make space. And cash.

Originally Posted by elnan View Post
I have a Janome 2160DC that has a blanket stitch listed as "Applique", page 38 of the manual. This machine was "retired" just about the time I bought it. A review speaks highly of it and says the 3160QDC replaced it.
The dealer nearest me has most of the Janome line on sale this month. The 2030QDC looks like it has it, as does the 4120QDC. I'm glad to hear you like the 2160, it's probably quite similar to these 2.

Originally Posted by donna13350 View Post
I have a 70's Kenmore with cams, and it has Blanket stitch. Also an old dressmaker...I think that is just a name some store gave to it..look at the old machines and keep your eyes open at thrift shops.
Thanks Donna! I've been prowling the shops and the for sale lists.