View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 AM
OurWorkbench

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
What are the factors that contribute to having a nice, relaxed (but neat) line of quilting stitches made by machine? Am I correct in adjusting the tensions (upper and lower) as loose as possible while still maintaining a neat stitch? Longer stitches are better, I assume; what's the limit? What thread do you prefer?
I was pointed here from http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t272512-2.html I'm not exactly sure what you are asking about. I would think that longer stitches and wide spacing would be more flexible than smaller stitches closer together. I'm thinking that things like store bought comforters are stitched with long stitches and six or so inches apart. Of course they have higher loft as well. I know that if one does several rows of stitching 1/4 inch apart will make what you are working on stiffer than just a piece where rows are further apart. Maybe an experiment is needed. Maybe just a few samples would help to confirm the longer/shorter stitch question when it comes to flexibility.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.