View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 06:05 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

Without knowing what sewing machine you are using, it's difficult to tell what is going wrong. Some machines are just not very good.

Unless you did something dramatically wrong with the glue-basting and spray basting, those should have helped a lot. This makes me think it is your machine.

To get really good advice, you need to provide details about your machine. Also, are you using a polyester batt? Polyester slips around a lot more than cotton.

Going to a long-armer for basting is more often used by hand quilters. This is because hand quilters clip basting threads as they work. Most machine quilters do not want to be doing that because you need to clip a much larger area at a time. If you quilt on a domestic machine (which sounds like your situation) and you want to get a quilt basted by a long-armer, I would recommend talking to the long-armer to see if he/she can use water-soluble thread. This way you don't have to do any clipping; the basting thread will dissolve when the quilt is washed. Cost depends on where you live, how big your quilt is, and how willing your longarmer is to baste.

I recently attended some Jamie Wallen classes, and for basting he recommends doing an all-over meander instead of the more common cross-hatching. Not only is it easier for the long-armer, it's a more stable basting method.

Last edited by Prism99; 11-25-2015 at 06:10 PM.