View Single Post
Old 11-26-2015, 09:24 PM
JoanPD

Default Not sure if I have enough fabric

I'm fairly new to quilting, I've made two complete quilts so far, both just using squares. I decided to work on something slightly more challenge, and came up with an idea for a basic sampler quilt. Using http://www.quilterscache.com, I came up with a list of block patterns that fit the following criteria: (Beginner, 12inch, only full or half inch cuttings, no applique, using three or less colors, or could be easily adapted to three colors.)

Not knowing much about fabric requirements for quilting, or even what size I wanted the quilt to be before I started, I guessed at the amount of fabric I would need.

Now that I've started looking closer at different quilt patterns, and fabric requirements, I feel like I under-bought the fabric.

I got this fabric in the spring, at an inexpensive fabric store (2.99/yd for everything). I was there last week looking for fabric for another project, and they didn't have any batik fabric at all this time.

Looking at my options it looks like I could do one the three following:

1. Keep making blocks until I run out of fabric, and then make that the finished size of the quilt, and deal with it being that size

2. Get another set of colors, and make some blocks out of the other fabrics, as long as it matches, and make the blocks alternating between the two color sets

3. Make the sashing between the blocks bigger than originally planed (or use more than one sashing between blocks).

I'm leaning more towards either option one or three, but would love the opinions of more experienced quilt makers.