View Single Post
Old 11-28-2015, 07:36 PM
purplefiend

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
They are essentially like a regular sewing machine with a large throat area aren't they? I've realized that I prefer free motion to the computerized quilting anyway, so I won't mind giving that up. Also, I can do embroidery "quilting" if I want a design here or there so I'm good with that, and I cannot stitch in the ditch on the long arm to save my life although I'm really good at it in my regular sewing machine so I think I will be able to do it on a sit down machine.

I have a stitch regulator on my long arm so I suppose I'd want that on a sit down machine?
These machines have no feed dogs, so you can't do walking foot quilting. It's all FMQ, you really need a bigger table to support your quilt; if you're doing larger quilts.
I do all of my quilting with a Pfaff QE 4.2, it has a 10" throat, IDT(built in walking foot). I really like it, have it in a Horn Quiltmate 2 cabinet. I have been machine quilting since 1992, on both a regular sewing machine and have rented a LA machine for larger quilts.
Sharon in Texas.