View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Tiffany

Originally Posted by quilterj
Before storing your fabric do you wash and iron it first?
I always wash my fabric first and iron it. I wash it because I don't want to store it with all the chemicals and sizing that are in it. Ever watch the gal cut your fabric straight, then you get it home and wash it and it comes out all crooked? The fabrics are stretched all to heck and back when made and washing it brings it back into its natural shape. Plus, there is nothing worse then using a fabric in a quilt, then washing it and watching the dye bleed into other fabrics or worse, change color completely.

Please be aware that any fabric that is imported into the US is fumigated and the boxes sprayed with insecticide. It is actually healthier to wash your fabrics rather then handle them with these and other chemicals still in them. Just something to think about.

Also, many people do not realize it but there is a special mold that grows on cotton fabrics and washing them when you bring them home will remove these spores. I'm highly allergic to mold and the doctor doesn't want me to handle the fabrics at the store, but I'm a quilter and fondling fabrics seems to be a symptom of being a quilter; so I just wash my hands a lot and make sure to wash my fabrics once I bring them home.