Old 11-29-2015, 09:58 AM
Nilla

Originally Posted by cenpaqltr View Post
WOW!!! It is tough to believe you don't like your longarm!! I purchased one brought it home with never even touching one - love the flexibility of quilting on it. I tried - very unsuccessfully to quilt on a domestic machine and was never able to get the hang of it. I have a HandiQuilter Avante and love to put a quilt in it and complete the quilt. When I brought it home - I loaded several yards of muslin and practiced doing about everything I could - meandering, stippling - ruler practice - free hand motion. It takes a while to get the feel of the machine. Have you given pantographs a chance.... they are a great tool and give you beautiful results. So sorry to hear that you are not pleased - but it does take a bit of practice and the learning curve never ends....Give it another chance....
I've had this long arm for about three years. I've quilted many quilts on it. It's not a matter of needing time and practice. It's a matter of not enjoying it. Mine is computerized. Sometimes I use the computer, sometimes I do free hand. Pantographs are not the issue. I do not like adjusting the tension, I don't like realizing my thread is eyelash in underneath and having to rip out stitches. I don't like stopping every so many inches to check underneath. I don't like the steps involved in getting a quilt ready to be quilted. I simply do not like using my long arm.

On my sewing machine, I just change the needle every so often, clean around the bobbin case when I change it and otherwise sew. That's what I want in a quilting machine. Ease of use so I can spend my energy making pretty things.