Thread: I did it
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 04:17 AM
QBeth

Originally Posted by katier825
I have found that if I go too fast, I break needles. I did better on the last quilt because I slowed the speed down (speed button is above the reverse on my Sapphire 835 - and I was looking for it in the menu!). I think the combination of the speed and moving the fabric in a direction other than forward/backward is when I have needle problems.

I just re-read your post. You mention FMQ and also the walking foot. You should not be using the walking foot for FMQ. Mine came with a clear foot, "R" I think. I didn't like that one, I prefer the spring clear foot 4125417 is the number on the foot. The dealer gave it to me. I think it runs about $30 +/- a couple.
Ditto on the speed factor & direction! It's a lesson I keep re-learning over & over again. As for FMQ combined with a walking foot, that was a mind cramp! I should have said sewing in the ditch with the walking foot, then going on to FMQ.

You're also right about using something other than the "R" foot. I'm not at home right now so I can't check but I'm pretty sure I bought an open toe spring/hopping foot when I bought the machine. I'd had success with using the same type of foot with my BabyLock so I knew what to look for.

I hope to get back to sewing tonight. Been working toooo late, lately! That, plus getting stuck in the parking lot because they haven't plowed the lot yet! :-( Guess the weekend storms took some outfits by surprise.