View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 06:12 AM
MarthaVA

Ok, I have had so much trouble with this quilt. Putting the quilt top together was easy.........compared to the quilting I did - 3 times.... :shock: :evil: :oops: :? :shock:

The first time I tried to quilt it on my machine. I did two rows and it was terrible - the fabric was pulling (yes I was using a walking foot) and the stitches were too small even tho I had it on the largest stitch.
So I pulled those out. Ok, I'll hand quilt it - no problem.
Right...........

So I put it all out, pinned it like crazy (again) and went at the sewing. I thought I was whipping along. Got it all done..........took it out of the hoop for the last time (round hoop) and I laid it flat. It looked HORRIBLE! :shock: :(
I ripped it out. :evil:

I started again. Only this time, I did about 5 rows. I took it out of the hoop. It still looked horrible! The back kept bunching up instead of staying stretched out and flat.
I went to my LQS but the expert wasn't there. :(
I ripped it all out.

Finally, I figured out my problem - my rows were too far apart! They were 3 inches. I made them 1.5 inches, and it worked SO much better - more sewing but hey, it wasn't all bunchy. I used the spray adhesive (the non-smelly stuff) and TONS of pins. I'm not thrilled with my hand stitching - I just wanted to get it DONE!

Then I was scared to death of having to square it up and bind it. Well, instead of being anal, I just went at it the best I could without having to cut all the boarder off.

I cut the binding out of left-over fabric - it was just about a fat quarter worth (i think) and I had to cut lots of strips to get enough. I had plenty plus some. :)

I followed the directions in my book to the T. I did a double fold binding. I sewed it on and it went well. The machine behaved. :)

I went to fold the binding over and hand sew it - OMG. It was barely enough to get around to the back of the quilt - but I was NOT taking all that binding off!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: So I just got my stubborn streak going, and started sewing.

I cannot tell you HOW happy I am its done. This was supposed to be a Christmas present for my almost 30 yr old daughter. I can hardly wait to give it to her on Saturday!

Did I mention, I'm SEW happy to have this quilt done??????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :oops: :roll:

Front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10893[/ATTACH]

Back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10967[/ATTACH]

Close up of front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]10968[/ATTACH]

Close up back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11327[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-10893.jpe   attachment-10967.jpe   attachment-10968.jpe   attachment-11327.jpe