View Single Post
Old 12-03-2015, 01:02 PM
margecam52

What machine do you have? Is this your home machine, or a machine on a frame (home or one meant for quilting?)... hard to help without knowing this. Home machine...Try loosening the tension a little...and as other suggest...use a slightly larger needle & even a slightly larger stitch length. If you are using a darning/embroidery foot...with feed dogs down...slow down. My little Brother machine lets me slow how fast the machine stitches...and that let me slow down a lot. Really helps with thread breaking. If you don't have that... try to get used to not press to hard on the foot pedal.

On a longarm machine (or any machine on a frame really). Loosen the bobbin & top tension)..here is an excellent video by Jamie Wallen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM
Taking the Stress out of Tension

I hope this helps some.
Marge
TL18LS (2009)
Qbot V3

Originally Posted by GarageDragon View Post
It is driving me crazy and I can't seem to fix it! I've started my very first FMQ on an actual quilt, having been happy with my practise sandwiches, but the thread just keeps snapping. The tension seems fine (I think). Just to complicate, although I usually use the Gutermann poly thread, I'm using their cotton thread, because I wanted the variagated, and it only seems to come in cotton. Could there be something I should be doing differently?

Thank you for any suggestions (particularly any that don't involve ripping out and starting again with different thread - I really like the look of the threads I chose)