Old 12-04-2015, 06:55 PM
ArchaicArcane

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
I don't think I'd tempt fate on the RAF. I'm no expert, but I would be afraid the testers paint and/or the black nail polish would really screw it up! Just my opinion, but that's a pretty special machine. The only thing you really could do would be clear coat shellac and I'm not well versed enough to recommend that! Afraid I'm not much help.

Jeanette
No, I won't tempt fate on the RAF. Fate likes to play games with me. I got pretty nervous just cleaning it but it was SO worth it! I do have the ability to touch up other machines with the paint and polish though. I've now used Glenn's process on 3 machines and while I don't mind doing it on some machines (I have a 15-91 in progress as I write this and touch-ups on the 201 that I did last year just after Christmas - note to the wise - don't put the can of Bri-wax on the bed - even after several weeks of drying!) I'm just not steady/consistent/confident enough yet to take on one like this. I truly am thrilled though with how well the cleaning came out. I just hoped here was a way to mitigate further damage with relatively minimal interference.

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
From furniture restoration I know they are not afraid to add fillers or coloring in damaged parts before adding new layers of shellac; and that's when they don't sand down or strip the wood brefore they polish it up. I'm just keeping up a hope that dings, chips and cracks can be improved upon.
I do think that wood is easier to repair than the machines - at the very least it's different, like you mentioned before. I shudder to even think of doing to some of these machines what I would attempt with some of the cabinets. Maybe that's me disrespecting the wood though.